Accidents happen, but when an accident could have and should have been prevented, you need the help of an Blakely slip and fall lawyer. You deserve compensation for your injuries and expenses. The McLendon Law Firm can help you pursue your claim against the property owner or business. Call us today at (229) 475-1969 to schedule your free consultation.
Three Circumstances that Indicate You Have a Slip and Fall Accident Case
We all fall down. However, when you fall and are injured in a serious manner under questionable circumstances, you may wonder if you have a case for a slip and fall personal injury case. We are happy to talk to you about your case at no cost, but if you are wondering if you may have a case before you call, this may help.
If you answer yes to any one of these questions, the chances are good that you have a slip and fall negligence claim.
- Could your accident have been prevented with proper maintenance by the property owner?
- Did something on the property create an obvious hazard that should have been taken care of?
- Was routine maintenance for repair neglected, which led to your accident?
The only caveat is if the property owner clearly warned you and other patrons about the hazard. For example, you had a sign indicating wet floors or closed an area of the property due to a known hazard and you ignored the signs. Rarely can they be held liable in cases where they knew and clearly posted about the potential danger.
What Damages Can I Recover from My Accident?
Slip and fall accidents vary from minor to severe. However, even a minor injury can cause a great deal of disruption in your daily life. Many falls lead to sprained wrists and concussions. Although injuries like these don’t necessarily lead to high medical bills, they can take a toll on your family in other ways. Lost income and pain and suffering are often a big part of a settlement for a slip and fall accident claim.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Negligence Cases
Although slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, including at a residence, more often, they occur at a business or on their property. There are many hazards that can lead to injury or even death which warrant calling a slip and fall accident attorney. A few examples include:
- Poorly maintained stairways – This could mean deteriorating concrete, unlevel stairs, stairs with an improper rise to run ratio, loose or missing handrails, or even a defective elevator or escalator.
- Flooring issues making it unsafe to walk – Some examples are uneven floorboards, missing pieces of tile, vinyl, linoleum, or other flooring material, and wet floors.
- Inadequate lighting – If you can’t see where you need to go in a business, there is an issue. This could lead to a fall and injuries.
- Sidewalk and parking lot damage – Although we expect small imperfections in parking lots and along walkways outside, there are times when the damage is significant enough that there could be evidence of neglect that leads to a personal injury claim due to a slip and fall accident. This can include ice and debris along the sidewalk, walkway, or in the parking lot.
These are just a few examples of the types of negligence we’ve successfully helped our clients with their in slip and fall accident cases. If you have a similar case or think your situation warrants a personal injury claim, call The McLendon Law Firm as your slip and fall accident attorney at (229) 475-1969.
Types of Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Some injuries are immediately apparent, like broken bones which occur in about 5% of slip and fall accidents. However, there are many types of injuries and rarely does one suffer only one type of injury in a fall.
- Soft tissue injuries – sprains, torn ligaments, and strains can show themselves hours or days after an accident.
- Concussions – you may not remember blacking out at the time of the fall, but concussions can have a lasting impact on your life and health.
- Cuts and burns – These most often happen in the workplace but are not uncommon in restaurants and other commercial establishments.
Our advice to you if you fall into a business is to never say that you’re okay or that you’re not hurt. It is perfectly acceptable to answer, “I don’t know.” or “I’m not sure.” File an incident report with the business and take a picture of the scene, the report, and the employee filing it. Ask to have an ambulance called to check you out. Few businesses will fight this request because if they do, they know that this will increase their liability for any injuries not promptly attended to.
Will I Have to Go to Court for My Slip and Fall Accident Claim?
That depends. If we can get you a fair settlement without going to court, that is always our preference. However, if we can’t, we will take your case in front of a jury.
What Losses Can I Claim in My Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
You can claim your actual losses like medical bills and lost wages plus any other intangible losses like the quality of life or ability to enjoy activities as you once did.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer If the Business Accepts Responsibility for My Injuries?
Because their insurance company will offer you as little as possible. With a slip and fall lawyer, you can recover all that you are entitled to.
The McLendon Law Firm Is a Leading & Local Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
We have the experience you need to ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries, lost income, and pain and suffering. Don’t trust your case to just any lawyer. Trust Robert McClendon and his team. We have many satisfied clients whose cases we have successfully handled, both big and small. Call us today to schedule your free consultation – (229) 475-1969 or fill out our contact form. You never pay a dime unless we win. Se Habla Español.